Death of a Salesman
Mr. Shiers hasnt givin me questions for this yet, so if you want to respond on Act 1, make a brief statement about what it is your saying.
Here you can post things that you would normally write in your freewrite journal online for the class to read and comment on. (I think Shiers said it counts as a freewriting?) Click on comments, then 'Post comments' to write.
3 Comments:
First of all, I would like to disagree with Ellen on the idea that Willy is bipolar. Try going to this website: http://www.aurorahealthcare.org/services/behhealth/olderadult/seniorbehhealthproblems.asp
It has a list of several disorders and illnesses brought on with age. I believe, just after reading the first act, that Willy is simply old. His mind seems to wander, almost as if he thinks much faster than he talks, finishing a subject in this mind and continueing on to another before he has finished saying out loud the first subject. Back to him being bipolar, the website above states that the victem suffers 'dramatic mood swings ranging from elated excitability to hopeless despondency'. Obviously, Willy has such mood swings, therefore supporting it thus far. "Extreme changes in energy and behavior", also unarguably present in Willy. The next 2 bullet points are the ones that make me believe it is not bipolar disorder that Willy suffers from. 'Periods of high, including increased energy, restlessness, racing thoughts, and rapid speach.' Willy seems to have not racing thoughts, but trouble concentrating on these thoughts. He often refers to an idea, moves past it, and then continues back to that idea later in a different conversation (I.e. talking to his wife before going downstairs about Biff and cheese, cheese and Biff, never on the same subject/idea for more then a few sentences). Later in that paragraph the site says 'Overconfidence or inflated self esteme.' I think that Willy is almost contrary to this idea, thinking that he really could be the manager of New England, but then realizes that he isnt as good as he used to be, he isn't as king-like as his boys thought he was when they were young, like in his flashbacks. Although all Willy wants is for his sons to appreciate him as the best father, Willy realizes that he is not. Going on to the last bulletpoint there, Willy doesnt get 'sad', when has the low points of his mood swings. Now this could be argued I guess, but i think that he is not emotionless or in an 'empty mood'. The closest he gets to having an empty mood is when he was thinking and describing what driving was like for him on the road, and that was simply because he was trying to remember, and give her the best image possible of his situation. Willy also doesnt feel guily. He feels ashamed that he isn't and didn't live up to his boys expectations as the best father, but he doesnt feel guilt or worthlessness from it. The site also says that he would have had 'trouble remembering'. I dont think Willy has any memory problems - I think his mind just thinks so much faster then he speaks, and when he is having a conversation with someone, the point doesnt come across as clear to them as it would if he took time to say it. Now the end point, and the comment following it point me back to Bipolar. We could argue that the entire inhaling kerosene with the rubber tube and all is a suicide attempt, or that it is simply to get high. In fact, I think that should be a question for this story. But none the less, you get my point. There are several disorders on that website that I looked over and began to see Willy having, but most contradict what I have just said, so i obviously wont support those. The thing I will support is that Willy is suffering from old age, something that almost everyone will encounter. And to your idea, Justin, about Willy having his mid-life crisis, I say...no. http://www.hope.edu/academic/psychology/335/webrep2/crisis.html
That is another website that goes on to tell about the research of a mid-life crisis. There is one section in there that says, "Specifically, the mid-life crisis is often thought to include: worries about the future, inability to enjoy leisure time, a feeling that health is deteriorating, a negative evaluation of the marital relationship, a negative evaluation of work life, and stress arising from taking care of the elderly". Willy's charecter doesn't really include much from that definition. Again, I think it's just old age. The guys 60 now, and he's working his ass off. And I think it's starting to get to him.
12:44 PM
All I'm saying is that he isnt bipolar, he isn't having a mid-life crisis, or any such thing. Now i dont feel like writing that much again but what I was trying to get across is that Willy is an old man. Yes, i agree with you that he did, obvious from his flashbacks, fall from greatness into this 'rut' that he is now in of a semi-useless feeling towards being king in his sons eyes. Hes getting old now, and some of the symptoms are starting to show, such as confusion, getting off topic, ect.
2:48 PM
Chip said...
I went back through the play again, and I decided to take it right from the beginning where the italics were. It is kind of interesting to note that the descriptions in this part are almost like an actual novel at some parts, explaining the very ideas of the characters and assisting us as readers to understand the psychological phenomena behind the play.
The important thing mentioned in this part is the "longings" that Willy feels, and what's even worse the fact that Linda is totally supportive of them. As a description for the house on stage the play says, "An air of the dream clings to the place, a dream rising out of reality." This must have to do with Willy's "massive dreams," mentioned later. I think it is the "longings" that Willy has can justify almost any behavior he exhibits during the play. It is similar in it own way to the "Hold on" part of "Holden" Caulfield, where he cannot stop forgetting both childhood memories and unreachable ambitions, that end up causing him to become depressed and "melancholy" (like Connie). Furthermore, the longings can be analyzed to have been a result from his continual pursuit of an image, which for Willy is mainly one of prosperity. This image then suppresses the substance within and hinders him from more important actions he should take, especially ones regarding his sons, and Biff. It is as Mr. Shiers implied: that Willy has some sort of tragic flaw or blindness that is characterized with his obsession with image, and not substance.
(Posted by Chip but relocated to the correct post)
4:44 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home